40 Hours of Television

The class is over, but the discussion continues. Does the media shape reality, or does reality shape the media? Art can imitate life...and life can imitate art. "40 Hours of TV" will explore the media and its impact on us all.

Monday, October 03, 2005

A Rant Against Bad TV

I've been watching a few shows from the new fall TV season, and most of them are horrible. HORRIBLE. I know, some may wonder, why do you keep watching the shows? Well, dear reader, it's to provide you with an entertaining look into the world of pop culture and the media. Even if it does cost me my soul.

First up on my list of shows I hope to god will be cancelled is the WB's "sitcom" Twins. Three weeks in and the show still hasn't gone beyond the sort of humor that your average eight-year-old finds amusing. Two weeks worth of poop jokes, and in the most recent episode, we were treated to incest jokes. Oooh, daring! And stupid. I'm not going to get into the show's details here as I've already reviewed the show, but take my word for it, you're not missing out on anything if you don't tune in.

Second on the list is Fox's horribly unfunny The War At Home. It's bad. Really bad. Incredibly bad. Watching it, I could feel a small part of my soul die, that's how bad it is. I've also reviewed this show, so I'll skip out on the details as I'm too lazy to repeat them. I guess the show's creators were looking for a show to bring back memories of Married With Children and maybe All In The Family. Instead of funny, the show is just mean-spirited and, yes, racist. I guess "racist" means "edgy" today. I don't know. Avoid this show at all costs.

One good show is UPN's Everybody Hates Chris. Watch this show! It's one of the best sitcoms so far this season. It's actually funny, and doesn't even need a fake laugh track like The War At Home to make you laugh.

Stay tuned as I suffer through more horrible shows.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Wisner said...

Stop now before your head explodes!!

I agree with your views on these shows.

Is it me or is the sitcom lost its importance to television

11:59 AM  
Blogger Scott C. Smith said...

The sitcom, it would appear, is targeted to a very specific demographic, the kind of demographic where jokes about poop or incest really kill.

Watch "Everybody Hates Chris," it's a great show.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home