40 Hours of Television

The class is over, but the discussion continues. Does the media shape reality, or does reality shape the media? Art can imitate life...and life can imitate art. "40 Hours of TV" will explore the media and its impact on us all.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Bad Reality Show Concepts

Like it or not, reality shows are now a permanent part of television viewing. For every good show there is a horrible show. Actually, I think for every good show there are several horrible shows.

A new concept in reality programming debuted this summer: the "replace the dead rock star" concept. I'll admit to not having seen Rock Star: INXS or R U The Girl, so I don't know how good (or bad) the shows are, but it just seems wrong to replace a popular member of a band (INXS' Michael Hutchence, who died in 1997 and TLC's Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez, killed in a car crash in 2002) via reality show. I don't know what INXS was thinking when this concept was presented to them. "Michael's been dead for eight years, it's time to replace him with someone we'll pick from a reality show!" Oy. It just seems to be an insult to the memory of Hutchence and Lopez. Post if you have any thoughts on those shows -- maybe I'm way off in my analysis. So, go ahead and set me straight!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thermoped Vibrating Foot Massager
Treat yourself to some pampering with the Thermoped Vibrating Foot Massager . This dual-action foot massager should relax and soothe even the ugliest feet, and its integral infrared heat lamps should give your ...
I have a 50 gag gift old years site. It pretty much covers 50 gag gift old years related cards and gifts.

Paul

3:05 PM  
Blogger Dr. Pepper said...

Already been there, check it out

Irritations of the Exterior

6:18 PM  
Blogger Skytower said...

Exactly what I thought, although I'm only aware of the INXS version. I felt it was in particularly bad taste, but also a sad sign of the times.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home