40 Hours of Television

The class is over, but the discussion continues. Does the media shape reality, or does reality shape the media? Art can imitate life...and life can imitate art. "40 Hours of TV" will explore the media and its impact on us all.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

I Need New Reality!

As I've mentioned numerous times here, I've decided to pursue a degree in political science. At the age of 36 (a month away from 37...sigh) it's a bit of a challenge. I'm getting my freshman and sophomore requirements away at the local community college, and then will transfer to Portland State University sometime before the age of 40.

And while I intend on continuing discussions of the media from a critical viewing point of view, there is one thing I'm a sucker for: a good reality show. I've mainly gotten my fix from Fox. In fact, for the last, I don't know, maybe five years I haven't tuned in to ABC or CBS. I'll watch NBC for The Apprentice (and sometimes the horrible Joey) but that's about it.

I've also mentioned that I had to get rid of standard cable TV in order to trim down the monthly expenses of my family. So, I'm stuck with basic, basic cable (broadcast channels, E! and The Discovery Channel is all I get). Which brings me to my question: am I missing out on any good reality shows? I'd love some suggestions, so if you have any, leave them in the comments. Thanks!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lolipop Culture girl said...

IF you don't have BRAVO, you are missing out on some serious messed up S**t. Kathy Griffin's show is great, and the Bobby Brown show is a total Train Wreck (god that expression is so overused, but it fits), and of course VH1 never fails to provide and endless stream of celebrity has beens, desperately trying to grasp on to those last seconds of their 15-minutes (which were up 15 years ago). I'll keep you up-to-date on reality, just visit my blog!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

forget about it--IF you don't need to watch TV don't. Take it from an addict! I need help!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Matt Wisner said...

I don't have cable at all, so I feel your pain. Have you been watching the dance show on Fox? I watched it the other night and it was interesting. I don't think it will do as well as Idol, but still addicting to a reality sucker like me. Big Brother is taking up most of my TV time right now.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Matt Wisner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:15 AM  
Blogger The Jerz said...

The only watchable reality show on right now is BB6 on CBS. The only good new summer programs in my opinion are BB6 on CBS and Entourage on HBO (not reality).

9:54 AM  
Blogger Scott C. Smith said...

I watch "The Soup" on E! whenever I get the chance, and I've seen many clips from the Bobby Brown reality show...too bad it's on Bravo, which I don't get. It looks like a good show.

I'm an addict and probably need help, but I'm in denial...

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home