40 Hours of Television

The class is over, but the discussion continues. Does the media shape reality, or does reality shape the media? Art can imitate life...and life can imitate art. "40 Hours of TV" will explore the media and its impact on us all.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Dying to Play That New Game

I don't know what it is about South Korean gamers, but for some reason they are really into their games...to the point of death. Literally, people have died after playing a video game for dozens of hours.

It's weird, because the deaths have occurred at Internet cafes, and you'd think management might get a little concerned that the same guy had been in the cafe for over two days (I take it the cafes are open 24/7) and only left his computer to use the bathroom and take quick naps (they allow gamers to sleep at the cafes?)

The latest death claimed the life of a 28-year-old gamer, playing in an Internet cafe in the city of Taegu.

An official of the Taegu police said the cause of death was probably heart failure stemming from exhaustion.

The man had quit his job to play computer games (including Starcraft, which is hugely popular in South Korea).

Actually, South Korea is a huge market for video games, with the online game Lineage having over four million subscribers in Asia alone.

But playing a game to the point that your heart gives out due to exhaustion? I don't think any game is that good. Well, maybe Everquest -- which I do NOT play any more due to its rather...addictive nature.

Are there any video games you'd play until you died?

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt Wisner said...

This is concerning! There is definatly no game that I would play till I died.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Tachizuno said...

Nah, but I'll agree that Everquest was very addicting and I used to play it for 8+ hours a day almost every day of the week.

I haven't played it for nearly a year now though, so I think I have it licked. But I seriously miss certain parts of it. I still have one character left, but that account's been inactive since September of last year.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Scott C. Smith said...

I was hooked on Everquest for about a year. I wasn't very good at it. I had a monk character and after playing him a year I only got to level 18. I play World of Warcraft now. I'm not addicted to it yet, but I suppose I might over time.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home